ARLINGTON, Va.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) today released data showing ARC-accredited travel agencies experienced a 328% year-over-year increase in air ticket sales during August 2021. The consolidated dollar value of tickets sold by agencies in August totaled $3.2 billion, up from $715 million in August 2020 and down from $4 billion in July 2021.*
Month over month, August 2021 results showed:
- Total passenger trips fell by 10%.
- U.S. domestic trips decreased 10%.
- International trips decreased 10% for the second consecutive month.
“Airlines and travel agencies anticipated a drop in overall sales and passenger trips in August as new mandates and border restrictions began taking effect in July,” said Steve Solomon, vice president of global sales, marketing operations and customer experience at ARC. “Our data shows that decline beginning to level off toward the end of August. In the coming months, there will be some uncertainty and volatility as schools reopen, businesses delay return-to-office dates, and as countries introduce new travel restrictions.”
Total passenger trips settled by ARC in August 2021 increased 151% year over year, from 6 million to 15.2 million. U.S. domestic and international passenger trips increased 145% and 168% YOY, respectively. Overall, U.S. domestic passenger trips totaled 10.9 million and international trips totaled 4.3 million. The average U.S. round-trip ticket price increased to $398 in August 2021, up from $321 in August 2020.
Year over year, August 2021 EMD sales increased 249% to $6,364,223, while EMD transactions increased 265% to 129,684.**
As a leader in air travel intelligence and omnichannel retailing, ARC provides platforms, tools and insights that help the global travel community connect, grow and thrive. ARC enables the diverse retailing strategies of its customers by providing innovative technology, flexible settlement solutions and access to the world’s most comprehensive air transaction dataset. In 2019, ARC managed more than $97.4 billion in transactions between airlines and travel agencies, representing more than 302 million passenger trips. For more information, please visit arccorp.com.
Notes for Editors:
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending August 31, 2021, from 10,934 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- The average ticket price (USD) is for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added, and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- U.S. domestic passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where the itinerary is wholly within the U.S. International passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where some or all the travel occurs to airports outside the U.S. or originates outside the U.S.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked bags, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
© Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC). All rights reserved.